Sunday, May 18, 2014

Baden Powell

We left wrightwood this morning to climb up Baden Powell (the 9399 foot mountain) and it was by far the hardest pat of the hike so far based on the elevation gained per mile. And I'm sure the beer and junk food in town didn't help.

This was our "creek" water source coming up. 





As I was coming down I was in front of the group and got off the pct somehow. I noticed after about a mile and figured it would meet back up eventually. Turns out it didn't, so I ended up walking about 5 miles on one of the dangerous roads until I finally found a ride. And I was out of water because I was banking on stopping at the source as we came down. I was not a happy camper.

The section is confusing because there is an endangered species alternate. But there are really about five different routes you can take. I don't feel bad about hitching because it was part of our plan anyways to avoid walking that road. 

So right now I'm at buckhorn campground on the old pct alternative at mile 393 I think. I'll figure it out tomorrow when I have service. It's been a long day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment